Charles J. Colley
Researcher by: Desmond Smith
C. J. Colley
SF Evening Post, Oct 27 1894
CA Historical Society Collection
|Charles J Colley (1850–1928) was in his mid-forties at the time
of the commission for the Cliff House. He had worked as a millwright
and carpenter prior to setting up as an architect. His strength
seems to have been in the role of Superintendent and running jobs.
Prior to working with Lemme, he had worked with a partner named
Gould on various buildings in Woodland, California and in San
Francisco. Their most celebrated building is Nobby Clark’s Folly,
250 Douglas St in Eureka Valley.
After the split with Lemme,
Colley continued to practice in San Francisco for the remainder of
his career until his death aged 78 in 1928.